Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 7

Today we finished the second bench, all we need to do is mount a fan and we are done with all the construction work for the week. Chloe kept the children in her class from breaking crayons and she feels very accomplished. Towards the end of our trip we will burn our pictures and videos to a disc and bring them home because the internet is soo slow we can't upload them. We would get a thumb drive but a 2GB thumb drive is around 1,700 pesos.

[Sidebar: Hello all, this is Chloe. Andrew said to feel free to write something if I felt so inclined, so I did. Apparently he's running out of things to say, which I don't understand at all. ;) Even though everything isn't quite "new" any more, I can still think of plenty of fun stories. We're all still quite sunburned from the beach, and poor Graham somehow got it the worst. Um... letsee... I have food on the brain at the moment. Today was more pollo con arroz-- chicken with rice. :D Yummy. We also got to try yucca, pronounced yoo-ca by the locals. It's a root of sorts, and reminded most of us of potato. It might to a little nuttier. It's pretty bland as tubers go. Hector says the way they grow them is that they'll plant them on both sides of the furrow. As the years go on, they chop off the top as the root grows deeper and deeper. We didn't find out what the lifespan of a plant was, but it sounded like they could go for quite a while. Hector also appeared at the end of the day with these cookie-like coconut balls. They are deep fried and taste strongly of ginger. He only brought two, but since we liked them promised to bring more tomorrow. I'm hoping to find out what they're called so I can do some research and try to make them when I get home. Es muy declicioso! :) My class today was a blast, as usual. The kids are used to seeing me now, and don't behave quite as well when I try to get them to pay attention to their work. I had to physically place myself between Nathanael and Felix to keep them from wrestling each other. That was interesting... they liked my necklace and decided that was more interesting than their coloring sheets. Anthony came up and helped in our room for a while. He and Carolin played a singularly long memory game. Um... oh, and we bought oranges from one of the salesmen walking between the cars. I'm like a little kid, I think it's so fun any time we buy something from the van like that. The whole city is one big drive through for all sorts of things! :D Alrighty, I guess I'll give this back to Drew now. See y'all Thursday. Can't believe how fast it's going...]

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful it is to see the progress. The posts are encouraging, and great to read. Thanks Peggy for hosting our transplants. I am certain God will reward your taking these wanderers under your wing. I am not sure I would take on such a raggidy crew...:-) Continue to seek God in daily. Thanks Peggy, Thanks DR Team!

    ReplyDelete